Every weighted blanket should have two characteristics to maximise its Deep Pressure Touch benefits. These can help you go to sleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- The weight should be spread evenly through it, without any “bunching” or “pooling” of the weight.
- It should be the correct weight for the individual user.
Read on as we unpack each of these to help you make the best weighted blanket purchase decision.
The weight needs to be evenly distributed through the weighted blanket
Every weighted blanket should have the weight spread evenly through the blanket to deliver the best sleep-enhancing Deep Pressure Touch effect.
At Calming Moments we sew equal weights of the beads into evenly spaced pockets throughout the blanket.
However, this is not enough to keep the micro glass beads evenly distributed through it.
So, we fill each blanket with two layers of cotton wadding. This spreads the beads evenly through each pocket. So, the blanket will feel heavy, but you won’t be able to feel the individual beads.
And they don’t bunch or pool.
Our customers have found that many mass-produced weighted blankets don’t have evenly spaced weights. This means that the weight can claustrophobically focus on your chest, pinning you to your bed. With nothing on your legs. Or the other way round.
Or the weights will slide around to the bottom of the pocket.
The weight must be evenly spread through the blanket to maximise its Deep Pressure Touch so that you can sleep better for longer.
But even this alone is not enough to make sure that you get the correct Deep Pressure Touch on your body to get you the best sleep result.
Every weighted blanket should be custom-made for the individual user
Occupational Therapists recommend that single and king single bed weighted blankets should be 10% of the user’s body weight. (We recommend adding weight for the larger blankets as the weight is spread over a larger area.)
We all have different body weights.
Yet, most mass-produced weighted blankets come in a limited number of weights.
At Calming Moments, we custom make each blanket to order. We offer 22 different weight options for our weighted bed blankets. These start at 1.5kg and increase in 0.5kg increments up to 12kg.
This means that you can get the exact weight blanket that will deliver the correct Deep Pressure Touch that will help your unique body sleep better for longer.
And it means that you can be sure that the weighted blanket is safe to use – even for children – as it won’t be too heavy.
11 more reasons to buy a Calming Moments’ weighted blanket
But that’s not all. Here are a further 11 reasons you should consider buying a Calming Moments’ weighted blanket.
We make each and every blanket individually in our factory in Mandurah, Western Australia. That means you can be sure of our high manufacturing standards that mean each and every blanket is premium quality and made to last.
- We use micro glass beads that are the size of mustard seeds with smooth edges. This means that you can’t feel any hard edges. And the glass is silent. This means that there is no rustling or whooshing noise to interrupt your rest. The glass beads also have the advantage that they make the blanket compact and easy to fold up. This makes it easy to store and transport.
- We have the widest range of colours and fabrics available for weighted blankets in Australia. Browse our selection below:
- The coloured Cotton Comfort Weighted Blankets are made from breathable cotton.
- The Sensory Minky Weighted Blankets have snuggly dimpled minky on one side and a matching cotton on the other. Pick your favourite colour.
- The Smooth Minky Weighted Blankets have a luxurious smooth minky front and a matching cotton back.
- Our Weighted Quilt Inserts go into an ordinary doona cover – a discreet way to get your Deep Pressure Touch.
- The Character Weighted Blankets are made with printed cottons of popular characters and themes, including Frozen, Harry Potter, Minecraft, Dr Seuss, Super Heroes, Paw Patrol and My Little Pony.
- Our Unicorn Dreams weighted blankets are made from a selection of different unicorn fabrics. Choose your favourite.
- Support your favourite AFL team with our amazing Team Supporter Weighted Blankets.
Or design your own selecting any combination you like of fabrics from our library. Or contact us if there’s something else you would like and we’ll source it for you.
- Plus, we can make your weighted blanket completely unique by embroidering your name on it.
- Our unique Calming 2-year guarantee covers every blanket. So that you know that we’re not just saying our quality standards are high. They are world class. No other weighted blanket offers this guarantee. In the unlikely event that the stitching breaks, we will repair or replace the blanket FREE of charge.
- You can machine-wash all our weighted blankets on cold, gentle cycle.
- Our weighted blankets all come in toddler, single, king single, double, queen and king size. Plus, we have a handy travel size weighted blanket for when you’re on the go.
- We have both Afterpay and Zippay available to help spread the financial load.
- Calming Moments is an NDIS-registered provider.
- AND you can get 20% off when you claim your coupon code.
But don’t take our word for it. Scroll down for a few reviews from our happy customers or you can see more on our Testimonials page here.
What our customers say:
“There are many types of weighted blankets in the market, cheaper or more expensive. I really wanted an Australian made product after all this COVID year… and I’m very happy with my purchase.
My daughter doesn’t know that is a calming blanket, she just loves how it is ‘hugging’ her and that it’s a bit heavy and she sleeps so well during the night!!! We like the design and distribution of weight, size and material. I liked that I could choose the right size, design and weight . It’s worth the money.”
“I bought a Calming Moments weighted blanket for my teenager who struggles with many challenges. I researched whether they worked or not, and then selected an Australian-made product I could trust.
I was sceptical but desperate to find a solution to at least one of our problems. It has been a God-send from the first night.
My teenager now wakes feeling ‘good’ instead of ‘blah’, which makes their day so much easier to cope with.
A huge thank you to the Calming Moments team!”
This is a very belated thank you.
Can’t thank you enough for my son’s weighted blanket. Beautifully and well made and very quick to arrive.
He sleeps so much better now. Wish I’d bought one years ago!
Very good quality. Got 2 from here and very happy. Posted to QLD.
Australian made to high standards.
Helped my 13 yr son ADHD and restless legs get some rest.
The blanket I ordered is beautifully made and best of all quiet! No rattly bead noise at all. It has been a God-send. After 7 years no sleep our daughter is still and sleeping awesome 😊
These blankets are fantastic, my daughter has ptsd anxiety depression and stress from car accident and she uses hers every night and got another one ordered
Highly recommend and so lovely to speak to 😊
I purchased three weighted blankets (one for hubby and I and one for each child) because I was sick of the lack of sleep I was getting due to everyone else. They take a little getting used to after a light feather doona but I absolutely swear by them! My husband (who suffers from a sleep disorder) says that he loves the weighted blanket and it has significantly reduced his need to take sleep medication. He really noticed the difference when he went away and was without the blanket for a few days. I used to wake up at night and lay awake for ages but this doesn’t happen any more with the weighted blanket. The kids are both much more settled at night as well! Very happy with my purchase and would recommend them to anyone with sleep issues.
I have been using this blanket for 6 months now and it’s definitely the best buy ever in my life. I used to take 2-3 hours just to fall asleep and can’t stay asleep because of anxiety.
Now I fall asleep within half an hour and stay asleep most of the nights and feel refreshed in the morning.
Not to mention that the blanket is very well stitched and the materials used inside the blanket are very fine and soft to touch.
I can’t think you enough for your good work in helping us.
Please click the button below to help you choose the weighted blanket that is perfect for you.
But hurry, because our production capacity is limited and we don’t want you to have to wait to get a great night’s sleep.