Weighted Blankets Can Help Kids Go to Sleep Faster and Stay Asleep
Children who get easily overwhelmed, frustrated or who struggle to go to sleep or stay asleep may benefit from using a weighted blanket.
Let’s find out why this is.
What is a weighted blanket?
A weighted blanket is – simply – a blanket that is deliberately made heavier than an ordinary blanket. The weight comes from its bead filling, which is evenly distributed through the whole blanket.
These heavy blankets press gently yet firmly over the body. OTs call this Deep Pressure Touch.
(Find out more here about what Deep Pressure Touch is and how it works.)
Deep Pressure Touch has been scientifically proven to help relieve stress and anxiety. This, in turn:
- Helps you go to sleep quicker and stay asleep for longer;
- Calm down if you are overexcited or having a meltdown; and
Every weighted blanket should have two characteristics to maximise its Deep Pressure Touch benefits. These will help you calm down and sleep.
- The weight should be spread evenly through it, without any “bunching” or “pooling” of the weight.
- It should be the correct weight for the individual user.
The weight needs to be evenly distributed through the weighted blanket
Every weighted blanket should have the weight spread evenly through the blanket to deliver the best sleep-enhancing Deep Pressure Touch effect.
Our customers have found that many mass-produced weighted blankets don’t have evenly spaced weights. This means that the weight can claustrophobically focus on your chest, pinning you to your bed. With nothing on your legs. Or the other way round.
This will not help you sleep.
Or the weights will slide around to the bottom of the pocket.
Again, this will not help you sleep.
The weight must be evenly spread through the blanket to maximise its Deep Pressure Touch so that you can sleep better for longer.
But even this alone is not enough to make sure that you get the correct Deep Pressure Touch on your body to get you the best sleep result.
Every weighted blanket should be custom-made for the individual user
OTs recommend that single and king single bed weighted blankets should be 10% of the user’s body weight. (We recommend adding 1kg for the larger blankets as the weight is spread over a larger area.)
We all have different body weights.
Yet, most mass-produced weighted blankets come in a limited number of weights.
Which is fine if you happen to be 20kg, 50kg, 70kg or 90kg on the dot. But if you weigh anything else, then you need a different blanket weight.
Watch this video to see some of our beautiful and unique weighted blankets for children.
Calming Moments weighted blankets are uniquely designed to help your child sleep better
We have engineered all our blankets to optimise each weighted blanket’s Deep Pressure Touch action. This maximises the Deep Pressure Touch’s calming and soothing effect.
- Each blanket has evenly spaced, individually sewn pockets. These are each filled with an equal weight of our Australian-made micro glass beads. This means that the blanket’s weight is evenly distributed across your whole body.
- The Australian-made glass beads are the size of mustard seeds with smooth edges. This means that you can’t feel any hard edges. And the glass is silent. This means that there is no rustling or whooshing noise to interrupt your rest.
- Because the glass beads are made in Australia, we know that they are made to this country’s high quality manufacturing standards. That means that you can be secure that there are no potentially toxic fillers chemicals. And that the beads are beads, not powdered glass or some other potentially harmful material.
- The glass beads also have the advantage that they make the blanket compact and easy to fold up. This makes it easy to store and transport.
- We fill each blanket with two layers of cotton wadding. This keeps the glass beads evenly spread through each pocket. It means the beads don’t “pool” in one corner. This maximises the Deep Pressure Touch effect on every part of your body.
The Calming Moments team of Australian mums make all our weighted blankets for Australian kids – with love and care in Western Australia.
This means our weighted blankets are extremely well-made. We use high quality materials and back each and every blanket with a Calming 2-year guarantee. (In the unlikely event that the stitching breaks, we will repair or remake for blanket for FREE.)
Every weighted blanket is unique
We make every single blanket to your order.
- You can choose your favourite printed cotton or sensory minky (or even a combination). Choose from our fabric library or contact us to source your child’s favourite!
- We make our blankets available in 20 different weights. These range in 0.5kg increments from 2.5kg up to 12.0kg so that your child will get the right blanket weight for their body mass.
- We do this because Occupational Therapists recommend that a single weighted blanket should be 10% of a child’s body weight
- This means that your child will receive the optimal deep pressure touch therapy that soothes their bodies, calms their minds and helps them sleep.
- You can trust that there are no harmful fillers in the weights because they are made in Australia to high quality standards.
- Our cool cotton weighted blankets are suited to Australia’s warm climate.
- We can embroider your child’s name onto their weighted blanket.
- PLUS – our all our weighted blankets are machine-washable on cold, gentle cycle.
So, don’t waste your money on a “cheap” mass produced alternative that won’t help you sleep.
A higher priced blanket is better value than a mass-produced one that doesn’t do the job
Consider, how much a good night’s sleep is worth to you and your child?
$1 a night? $5 a night?
If you use a Calming Moments weighted blanket for two years, you will pay less than 50c per night for better quality, longer sleep.
Our prices reflect our high quality, certified Australian-made production.
But they also mean that you can rest peacefully, secure in the knowledge that the blanket will work for you individually AND that it contains no potentially harmful inputs. (We have heard reports of weighted blankets filled with powdered glass, noisy poly pellets or beads with toxic fillers.)
We have both Afterpay and Zippay available to help spread the financial load.
But don’t take our word for it, check out our happy customers’ reviews on our Testimonials page or scroll down.
Why customer’s love our products and service:
Easy to order, fantastic service, fast turnaround, product is well made. Highly recommend Calming Moments if you are looking for a weighted blanket, the blanket with micro beads instead of poly pellets is lovely and compact, my child loves it, it’s really helped her to settle at night.
Thank you Cherise and the team for making another beautiful blanket for us. This is our third one from Calming Moments( have a lap, travel and now double bed size blanket) and I recommend your blankets to family and friends. I love that they are Australian Made and a fantastic quality. Thanks again!
Amazing company donated a blanket to help a sick little girl, very high quality products made with upmost care, wonderful customer service a pleasure to deal with highly recommend.
I purchased three weighted blankets (one for hubby and I and one for each child) because I was sick of the lack of sleep I was getting due to everyone else. They take a little getting used to after a light feather doona but I absolutely swear by them! My husband (who suffers from a sleep disorder) says that he loves the weighted blanket and it has significantly reduced his need to take sleep medication.
He really noticed the difference when he went away and was without the blanket for a few days. I used to wake up at night and lay awake for ages but this doesn’t happen any more with the weighted blanket. The kids are both much more settled at night as well! Very happy with my purchase and would recommend them to anyone with sleep issues.
I have been using this blanket for 6 months now and it’s definitely the best buy ever in my life. I used to take 2-3hours just to fall asleep and can’t stay asleep because of anxiety. Now I fall asleep within half and hour and stay asleep most of the nights and feel refreshed in the morning. Not to mention that the blanket is very well stitched and the materials used inside the blanket are very fine and soft to touch. I can’t thank you enough for your good work in helping us.
I have A.D.D and bought a lap pad to sit on my lap at work to help me stay calm and focussed. I’m honestly so impressed with my entire purchase. The pad itself is fantastic and I am way less fidgety when I’m using it, the colour choices are great, and they’re really well made. But the best part by far is the customer service. Your order is updated with notes through the entire process so you know exactly what’s happening and when, and it’s clear the staff are passionate about what they do. Highly recommend.
Would just like to say that I purchased a weighted blanket for my suspected austism spectrum 4yr old son at Calming moments on recommendations on afterpay page and from friends. I received the blanket in the mail today and my son has hardly left it alone. I would also like to say the craftsmanship in these products are amazing I would rate them 5/5 stars and recommend them to anyone. I will also in the near future be ordering one for my 15 yr old a.d.d son as he keeps stealing it.
I was so sceptical initially cause I thought ‘well it’s only a blanket’. I read so many reviews and eventually thought fudge it, why not? Best decision I’ve ever made. I love my weighted blanket so much. It’s done wonders for me. I don’t think I’ve ever fallen asleep so fast so consecutively in my life. And it just gives me a sense of calm and protection I didn’t have before. Definitely recommend.
I ordered a custom made weighted blanket for my little boy who loves planets in the sparkly space material- it’s so beautiful and the service was amazing! It was made and arrived super quick in time for Christmas. The blanket is very well made and I love that it is Machine washable. Highly recommend Calming Moments.
Hurry and order today because our production capacity is limited
Our wonderful team of 15 Aussie mums professionally makes each blanket individually. This means that our production capacity for our beautiful premium quality weighted blankets made specifically for you is limited.
Hurry and order today so that you won’t have to wait to receive your special weighted blanket, engineered for your unique body. To help you go to sleep faster and stay asleep longer.
FREE shipping on all weighted blankets Australia-wide;
Buy one now by choosing the product you want from the listings below.
Please use the coupon code EYEMASK to claim your free weighted eye mask on purchases of $250 or more. Just add an eye mask to your basket in your choice of size and colour. Valued at up to $25.