Weighted Blankets for Schools
Do you wonder if weighted blankets – which are simply heavy blankets filled with beads – could help the children in your care improve their learning outcomes?
Many of our customers are teachers who have found that using weighted blankets in their classrooms can help improve:
• Children’s focus and “time-on-seat” in the classroom;
• Their transitions between activities;
• Reduce the extent and intensity of meltdown episodes; and
• For the little ones: improve the quality of their rest during nap time.
Please read on as I explain how weighted blankets how they help in these four key areas.
How do weighted blankets help children at school?
Weighted blankets use the principle of Deep Pressure Touch Therapy. Deep Pressure Touch is a firm yet gentle pressure consistently applied to an area of your body. And it has been clinically proven to calm your body and thoughts.
(This is why weighted blankets have the seemingly contradictory benefits of helping you improve focus and concentration AND also improve sleep quality.)
Find our more about how Deep Pressure Touch works here.
Weighted lap blankets can help improve children’s ability to focus
A small weighted lap blanket or pad is the size of a tray. It rests on your lap and applies Deep Pressure Touch to your legs.
Many of our customers who are teachers have found that no more than 20 minutes of use helps children who are fidgety or have “the wriggles” to sit still for longer. This means they complete their school work to a higher standard.
It also gives proprioceptive input to children who battle to place their body in space.
Weighted blankets can assist in improving transition between activities
Some of our school teacher customers have noticed that using a weighted blanket or smaller travel blanket in the classroom as an interlude between activity changes helps improve the transition from one activity to another. This could be the switch between classroom and playtime or simply in-classroom tasks.
Weighted blankets seem to help meltdown episodes
Several of our school customers – especially in the early years – have commented that the soothing action seems to shorten meltdown episodes if children are wrapped in a small weighted blanket, like a travel blanket.
I think this is likely the Deep Pressure Touch switching off the stress response and calming the emotions.
Weighted blankets may help improve nap-time quality
Lastly, some of our Early Years customers have noticed that using the smaller travel blankets instead of an ordinary blanket helps the children go to sleep and sleep better during naptime. And that means that they wake up refreshed and ready for the second part of their day.
What type of weighted blankets can schools find useful?
By and large, our school customers tell us that they use weighted lap blankets and the smaller travel blankets in the classroom.
Interested in finding out more?
Here are the three reasons that Calming Moments weighted blankets are safe and practical for daily use by children in the classroom.
Reason #1: They are safe
- We source only Australian-made micro glass beads for the weights. That way you can be 100% sure that there are no toxic fillers that might cause long-term harm to your charges.
- Our Mandurah, WA factory specialises in making weighted blankets specifically for children. You can buy our weighted blankets in a number of different weights from the 1,5kg travel blanket up to 12 kg in 0,5kg increments. That way you don’t ever run the risk of having a child injured – or worse – because their weighted blanket was too heavy.
Reason #2: They are practical
- All our weighted blankets are machine-washable on gentle cycle. Because you shouldn’t have to spend your time hand-washing when mess happens.
- Our cool cotton weighted blankets are made for Australia’s warm climate.
Reason #3: We have five different sizes to choose from
- Our weighted blankets for children range from small lap blankets (great for helping concentration) to travel blankets, singles, king singles and doubles.
All Calming Moments’ premium weighted blankets and quilt inserts are manufactured to our high quality standards in Western Australia. They are all certified Australian-made.
Designed for the best Deep Pressure Touch experience
We have engineered the blankets to optimise each weighted blanket’s Deep Pressure Touch action. This maximises the Deep Pressure Touch’s calming and soothing effect to help you go to sleep faster and sleep for longer.
- Each blanket has evenly spaced, individually sewn pockets. These are each filled with an equal weight of our Australian-made micro glass beads. This means that the blanket’s weight is evenly distributed across your whole body.
- The Australian-made glass beads are the size of mustard seeds with smooth edges. This means that you can’t feel any hard edges. And the glass is silent. This means that there is no rustling or whooshing noise to interrupt your rest.
- The glass beads also have the advantage that they make the blanket compact and easy to fold up. This makes it easy to store and transport.
- We fill each blanket with two layers of cotton wadding. This keeps the glass beads evenly spread through each pocket. It means the beads don’t “pool” in one corner. This maximises the Deep Pressure Touch effect on every part of your body.
We make each blanket individually. That means you can choose the fabric type and colour you love best.
- Plus, we can make your weighted blanket completely unique by embroidering your name on it.
- Our unique Calming 2-year guarantee covers every blanket. So that you know that we’re not just saying our quality standards are high. They are world class. No other weighted blanket offers this guarantee.
- You can machine-wash all our weighted blankets on cold, gentle cycle.
- We double-line and triple-stitch each blanket on the edges with hems. This ensures that the pockets will not break – so you get evenly applied Deep Pressure Touch.
Calming Moments’ weighted blankets come in a large choice of blanket sizes and weights.
- Our weighted blankets all come in single, king single, double and queen size.
- They are designed to fit on top of a bed with no overhang. This gives the best Deep Pressure input for people with sensory processing issues.
- Our weighted quilt inserts are the size of an ordinary duvet or doona with an overhang. The come in single, king single, double, queen, king and super king sizes.
- We offer the widest choice of blanket weights in the market. Across all our bed blankets we offer over 20 different weights, starting from 2.5kg in 0.5kg increments up to 12.0kg. This means that you can choose the blanket weight that will give you the best Deep Pressure Touch experience.
But don’t just take our word for it. Here are some of the reviews from our wonderful customers on our Facebook page.