Did you know that up to 33% of the population of industrialised countries suffers from some form of insomnia? It:
- Affects all ages, from teens through to the elderly;
- Is due to our stressed, modern lifestyle;
- It can lead to serious health problems, including addiction, depression, cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure; and
- Can hurt your professional, social and family life.
So says a clinical study, “Positive Effects of a Weighted Blanket on Insomnia” published in The Journal of Sleep Medicine and Disorders.
In a nutshell, it found that weighted blankets may provide an “innovative, non-pharmacological approach and complementary tool to improve sleep quality”.
Let’s look at the study’s detail.
An investigation into whether weighted blankets can help adults with sleep problems
The study was run at two clinical sites in Sweden over the course of a year. Each participant was involved for four weeks and had to self-identify as having chronic insomnia. (This was defined as having difficulty in going to sleep or staying asleep for more than three nights a week for more than three months. In addition, the participant had to record that they did not feel “refreshed” when they woke up in the morning.)
Each participant took part in the study for four weeks. They were attached to various instruments that objectively measured their sleep-wake patterns and movement in bed. They also kept a subjective sleep diary.
- In the first week, they slept as normal, without a weighted blanket. This established a baseline to measure against.
- In weeks two and three, they used a weighted blanket. They could choose to use it alone or with other bedding.
- In week four, they reverted to sleeping without the weighted blanket.
The objective measures showed a large decrease in movement
The study then compared the two weeks’ sleep with the weighted blanket to the before- and after- weeks with it. The instrument measurements found that:
- The mean sleep time “significantly increased when using the weighted blanket”; and
- The “total activity time in bed…significantly decreased during weighted blanket use”.
At the study’s end, each participant filled out a questionnaire to report their subjective feelings about sleeping with the weighted blanket. Overall, the survey found that:
- Participants liked sleeping with the weighted blanket;
- They found it easier to go to sleep and believed their sleep was better quality;
- The weight of the blanket did not disturb the study participants; and
- The weighted blanket did not change their temperature in bed.
Most importantly, the study found no “adverse impacts” from using the weighted blankets.
Weighted blankets help sleep by providing a “cocooning” feeling
The study’s authors note that weighted blankets provide a “cocooning” feeling, which could help general insomnia and also “mild sleep problems”. This is because the “deep pressure and consistent sensory input” from a weighted blanket “can reduce physiological levels of arousal”.
Importantly, the weight should not be too heavy or too light. It should also be evenly distributed across the blanket “to provide constant tactile stimulation”.
The study concludes with the statement: “…a weighted blanket may aid in reducing insomnia through increased tactile and proprioceptive inputs, may provide an innovative, non-pharmacological approach and complementary tool to improve sleep quality”.
Every weighted blanket should have two characteristics to maximise its Deep Pressure Touch benefits. These will help you go to sleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- The weight should be spread evenly through it, without any “bunching” or “pooling” of the weight.
- It should be the correct weight for the individual user.
The weight needs to be evenly distributed through the weighted blanket
Every weighted blanket should have the weight spread evenly through the blanket to deliver the best sleep-enhancing Deep Pressure Touch effect.
Our customers have found that many mass-produced weighted blankets don’t have evenly spaced weights. This means that the weight can claustrophobically focus on your chest, pinning you to your bed. With nothing on your legs. Or the other way round.
This will not help you sleep.
Or the weights will slide around to the bottom of the pocket.
Again, this will not help you sleep.
The weight must be evenly spread through the blanket to maximise its Deep Pressure Touch so that you can sleep better for longer.
But even this alone is not enough to make sure that you get the correct Deep Pressure Touch on your body to get you the best sleep result.
Every weighted blanket should be custom-made for the individual user
OTs recommend that single and king single bed weighted blankets should be 10% of the user’s body weight. (We recommend adding 1kg for the larger blankets as the weight is spread over a larger area.)
We all have different body weights.
Yet, most mass-produced weighted blankets come in a limited number of weights.
Which is fine if you happen to be 20kg, 50kg, 70kg or 90kg on the dot. But if you weigh anything else, then you need a different weight blanket.
How can a Calming Moments’ weighted blanket help you sleep better?
We have designed each and every Calming Moments weighted blanket to deliver the best possible Deep Pressure Touch effect. This enhanced Deep Pressure Touch can help you go to sleep faster and sleep for longer.
- All Calming Moments’ weighted blankets are carefully sewn with evenly spaced pockets to distribute the Australian-sourced glass beads that give the weight. This makes sure that the weight is evenly placed over your whole body to give you the best sleep-enhancing Deep Pressure Touch.
- We custom make each blanket to order. We offer 20 different weight options for our weighted bed blankets. These start at 2.5kg and increase in 0.5kg increments up to 12kg. This means you get the correct weight blanket to give you better sleep.
- We cover each and every weighted blanket and quilt insert we make with a 2-year guarantee. This assures you that the workmanship on each blanket is outstanding. And if the stitching breaks or fails in any way, we will repair or remake the blanket for FREE.
- We give you FREE shipping Australia-wide
So, don’t waste your money on a “cheap” mass produced alternative that won’t help you sleep.
A better quality blanket for a better night’s sleep
Consider, how much a good night’s sleep is worth to you.
$1 a night? $5 a night?
If you use a Calming Moments weighted blanket for two years, you will pay less than 50c per night for better quality, longer sleep.
Our prices reflect our high quality, certified Australian-made production.
But they also mean that you can rest peacefully, secure in the knowledge that the blanket will work for you individually AND that it contains no potentially harmful inputs. (We have heard reports of weighted blankets filled with powdered glass, noisy poly pellets or beads with toxic fillers.)
We have both Afterpay and Zippay available.
We are an NDIS-registered provider. The NDIS may fund your weighted blanket if you are a participant.
So, go ahead and order your unique weighted blanket by selecting one of our custom-made options form the menu below.
But hurry, because our production capacity is limited and we don’t want you to have to wait to get a great night’s sleep.
PLUS, all our loyal customers earn points that they can redeem for 10% of the value of their purchase, when they shop with us again.
A Calming Moments’ weighted blanket is just a mouse click away.
Please click the button below to shop our range of sleep-enhancing weighted blankets.
Buy any weighted blanket or quilt insert for a bed and get 20% off any weighted lap blanket.
Please use the coupon code 20%OFFLAP to claim your discount.