Looking from the outside, someone with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) looks as if they struggle to focus, are hyperactive, can be easily distracted, have poor planning and organisation skills and can be very impulsive.
But from the inside, living with ADHD can be extremely overwhelming.
Some people living with ADHD have described their day-to-day life experience as:
- A permanent feeling of paranoia and being on edge;
- Being constantly under a sensory attack from bright lights and loud sounds;
- Jumping from one subject or task to the next with no logical progression;
- Lots of thoughts constantly whirling through their heads;
- Can’t sit still and fidget a lot; and
- Feeling overwhelmingly confused, alone, disconnected and lost.
And with all of this, you can see why people living with ADHD often report that they find it difficult to go to sleep and stay asleep. And that staying focused at work or at school in challenging.
So, how can a weighted blanket or lap blanket help calm the feelings of overwhelm and distraction?
One clinical study found that weighted blankets specifically help people with ADHD
Weighted blankets are simply fabric casings that have been filled with beads or pellets sewn into individual pockets. This makes them heavier than a typical duvet or quilt.
One small 2010 clinical study found that a type of weighted blanket helped 21 children diagnosed with ADHD in two specific areas. The blanket:
- Shortened the time it takes to fall asleep to one comparable with neurotypical control subjects; and
- Helped improve in-classroom attention and activity levels by 10%. All with no additional medication.
So how do weighted blankets work to achieve these two things?
Weighted blankest use Deep Pressure Touch to soothe and calm the mind and body
Weighted blankets can help calm an overstimulated mind through applying Deep Pressure Touch. Deep Pressure Touch is often used by occupational therapists. It is a consistent, firm pressure applied evenly. It feels like a firm hug.
This Deep Pressure Touch causes two responses in your body’s central nervous system.
Response 1: It switches off the “Fight or Flight” instinct
The first thing Deep Pressure touch does is that it turns off the sympathetic nervous system, or your “fight or flight” instinct. This part of the nervous system has a positive job keeping you alert. But, living in this state for extended periods is exhausting and overwhelming.
Response 2: It switches on the calming parasympathetic nervous system
Once the sympathetic nervous system is turned off, Deep Pressure Touch activates the parasympathetic nervous system. This is primarily concerned with sustenance and regeneration.
When the parasympathetic nervous system takes over, your heart rate and breathing literally slow.
You physically feel calmer. And this helps you go to sleep.
Various clinical studies have also found that Deep Pressure Touch causes the body to release a number of “feel-good” hormones and neuro-transmitters, including serotonin. Serotonin, specifically, is linked to longer and deeper sleep.
While there is no doubt that we need more clinical research work on this topic, a number of our customers have reported significant improvements in their children diagnosed with ADHD.
Why a Calming Moments Weighted Blanket?
The Calming Moments team of awesome Aussie mums hand make every blanket to our high quality standards in Mandurah, WA.
- Our weighted blankets are certified Australian-made.
- We are a registered NDIS provider. The NDIS may fund your weighted blanket if you are a participant.
- Each and every weighted blanket is double-lined and triple-stitched. This high quality workmanship means we back each and every blanket with our two-year Calming guarantee.
- We use Australian-made micro glass beads to fill each blanket. This means you can’t feel the edges and they don’t make any rustling noises while you’re sleeping.
- All our weighted blankets are machine-washable on cold, gentle cycle so you don’t have to worry about dirt and mess.
But don’t take our word for it.
Here are some reviews – and you can find more on our Testimonials page.
You can help a person you love who’s struggling with ADHD overwhelm by buying a Calming Moments weighted blanket today. Just click the button below to see our product range.