Quick and easy ways to improve focus and attention at school – without an adult’s help
Children with sensory needs fall into two camps. Those who are:
- Sensory seeking because they need some form of stimulation to be able to make sense of the world around them.
- Easily overwhelmed by sensory stimulation such as loud noise and find that their minds and bodies almost shut down and that they can’t cope.
In both cases, Occupational Therapists prescribe “proprioceptive input”.
In a nutshell, proprioceptive activities mean moving muscles and joints – preferably with some kind of weight bearing or resistance.
The most effective are activities that use the big muscle groups, like crawling, push-ups or running.
But these are not always appropriate in the classroom.
Weighted blankets and lap pads can help
Weighted blankets are filled with some type of beads that make them heavy.
This weight gives what Occupational Therapists call Deep Pressure Touch.
Deep Pressure Touch is a form of proprioceptive input that has been clinically proven to calm the body and mind.
Children generally use two types of weighted blankets during the school day:
- A small cot-size weighted blanket (often called a travel blanket); and
- A weighted lap pad or lap blanket.
Weighted travel blankets: the ultimate comfort blanket in a classroom
Travel weighted blankets are smaller than bed blankets.
This means that they are compact and can be easily taken with you or stored in a classroom.
Younger children can use them during their nap time.
The calming Deep Pressure Touch from the weight helps relax them so they can go to sleep quickly and easily.
It also means that they will sleep better during their nap.
Weighted lap pads: an easy way to improve focus in a classroom
Weighted lap blankets or pads are the size of a tray and sit on a person’s lap or legs.
Their weight provides soothing Deep Pressure Touch, which slows breathing and the heart rate.
This, in turn, means that the child using it feels less stressed and overwhelmed and is more able to concentrate.
Some teachers have also noted that they make transitions between activities easier as well.
What do weighted blankets and lap pads need to work?
Weighted blankets should be a specific weight relative to the user’s body to provide the best soothing effect.
For travel blankets, we recommend using 10% of body weight, in line with Occupational Therapist recommendations.
For lap blankets, we recommend the following sizes and weights:
- Small 50x36cm & weighs 1kg suggested for 2 – 4 year olds;
- Medium 60x40cm & weighs 1.5kg suggested for 5 – 7 year olds;
- Large 70x44cm & weighs 2kg suggested for 8 – 9 year olds;
- Extra Large 70x44cm & weighs 3kg suggested for 9 – 16 year olds;
- Jumbo 75x50cm weighs 4kg suggested for 16 year old +
- Super-Jumbo 75x50cm; weighs 5kg suggested for highly sensory-seeking adults.
At Calming Moments, we specialise in making weighted blankets for children. We make them with love and care with the right weight your child needs. This means that they have the best calming effect for each unique body AND they are safe to use.
Calming Moments’ weighted blankets can help children focus better in the classroom
We’ve found that children are more likely to use their weighted blanket at school if they love how it feels and looks.
That’s why we stock a wide range of fabrics – including tactile sensory minky, plush smooth minky, plain coloured cotton and a host of printed cottons. These prints include licensed fabrics with some favourite kids’ characters including super heroes, dinosaurs, unicorns, sharks and TV/ movie characters including Dumbo, Frozen, Paw Patrol and PJ Masks.
And Calming Moments’ proprietary Emotions weighted lap blankets can help children identify their emotions in the moment. This helps them better self-regulate. Now available in eight different diverse avatars in both cotton and smooth minky.
Mums love that:
- All our weighted blankets are machine-washable on cold, gentle cycle;
- We have Afterpay and Zippay available for instalment payments; and
- Shipping is FREE Australia-wide
What Our Customers Say:
Click the buttons below to browse our range of lap blankets and travel blankets that are perfect for using at school.