Did you know that up to 33% of the population of industrialised countries suffers from some form of insomnia? It:
- Affects all ages, from teens through to the elderly;
- Is due to our stressed, modern lifestyle;
- It can lead to serious health problems, including addiction, depression, cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure; and
- Can hurt your professional, social and family life.
So says a clinical study, “Positive Effects of a Weighted Blanket on Insomnia” published in The Journal of Sleep Medicine and Disorders.
In a nutshell, it found that weighted blankets may provide an “innovative, non-pharmacological approach and complementary tool to improve sleep quality”.
Let’s look at the study’s detail.
An investigation into whether weighted blankets can help adults with sleep problems
The study was run at two clinical sites in Sweden over the course of a year. Each participant was involved for four weeks and had to self-identify as having chronic insomnia. (This was defined as having difficulty in going to sleep or staying asleep for more than three nights a week for more than three months. In addition, the participant had to record that they did not feel “refreshed” when they woke up in the morning.)
Each participant took part in the study for four weeks. They were attached to various instruments that objectively measured their sleep-wake patterns and movement in bed. They also kept a subjective sleep diary.
- In the first week, they slept as normal, without a weighted blanket. This established a baseline to measure against.
- In weeks two and three, they used a weighted blanket. They could choose to use it alone or with other bedding.
- In week four, they reverted to sleeping without the weighted blanket.
The objective measures showed a large decrease in movement
The study then compared the two weeks’ sleep with the weighted blanket to the before- and after- weeks with it. The instrument measurements found that:
- The mean sleep time “significantly increased when using the weighted blanket”; and
- The “total activity time in bed…significantly decreased during weighted blanket use”.
At the study’s end, each participant filled out a questionnaire to report their subjective feelings about sleeping with the weighted blanket. Overall, the survey found that:
- Participants liked sleeping with the weighted blanket;
- They found it easier to go to sleep and believed their sleep was better quality;
- The weight of the blanket did not disturb the study participants; and
- The weighted blanket did not change their temperature in bed.
Most importantly, the study found no “adverse impacts” from using the weighted blankets.
Weighted blankets help sleep by providing a “cocooning” feeling
The study’s authors note that weighted blankets provide a “cocooning” feeling, which could help general insomnia and also “mild sleep problems”. This is because the “deep pressure and consistent sensory input” from a weighted blanket “can reduce physiological levels of arousal”.
Importantly, the weight should not be too heavy or too light. It should also be evenly distributed across the blanket “to provide constant tactile stimulation”.
The study concludes with the statement: “…a weighted blanket may aid in reducing insomnia through increased tactile and proprioceptive inputs, may provide an innovative, non-pharmacological approach and complementary tool to improve sleep quality”.
How can a Calming Moments’ weighted blanket help you sleep better?
All Calming Moments’ weighted blankets are carefully sewn with evenly spaced pockets to distribute the Australian-sourced glass beads that give the weight. This makes sure that the weight is evenly placed over your whole body to give you the best sleep-enhancing Deep Pressure Touch.
We make our blankets to high quality standards in Australia, using as many locally sourced inputs as we can.
PLUS, all our loyal customers earn points that they can redeem for 10% of the value of their purchase, when they shop with us again.
Don’t take our word for it. Here are some reviews – and you can find more on our Facebook page.
A Calming Moments’ weighted blanket is just a mouse click away. Click the button below to shop our high quality weighted blanket range now.