We live in anxious times.
Anxiety is simply worrying about the future. Everyone feels it at some point.
Did you know that weighted blankets can help reduce your anxiety and stress levels? And that there are clinical studies that support this.
What is a weighted blanket?
A weighted blanket is – simply – a heavy blanket. It is usually made heavy because it is filled with beads or something similar like poly pellets that are sewn into evenly spaced pockets. These pockets help distribute the weight evenly over your body.
How do weighted blankets help reduce anxiety?
Weighted blankets work by using Deep Pressure Touch on your body.
Deep Pressure Touch is a consistent, gentle but firm pressure on the body. It feels a bit like a hug. This Deep Pressure works in two phases to make both your mind and body feel physically calmer.
Both these reactions to Deep Pressure Touch occur in the central nervous system.
In the first phase, Deep Pressure Touch shuts down your “fight or flight” instinct in the sympathetic nervous system. (If you are suffering with anxiety, this can be almost permanently “switched on”.)
Secondly, Deep Pressure Touch switches the parasympathetic nervous system on. This causes your heart rate and breathing to slow. Your muscles relax and your blood pressure declines. In other words, it causes your body to de-stress biologically.
This de-stressing process is then boosted. The parasympathetic nervous system also releases endorphins (or “feel-good” hormones) and the “happy neuro-transmitter serotonin. (Serotonin helps control sleep, mood, appetite, social behaviour, digestion and memory.
So, to summarise, weighted blankets can help relieve anxiety by switching off your “fight or flight” instinct, calming your body physiologically and soothing your mind by the release of “feel good” chemical compounds.
Deep Pressure Touch reduces cortisol – the stress hormone
For people with anxiety though, the Deep Pressure Touch does something else that is helpful. At least one clinical study suggests that “grounding” your body while sleeping helps to reduce your body’s cortisol production while you sleep.
Why is this important?
Because cortisol is commonly called the “stress hormone”. It causes the body’s stress-induced reactions like a rapid heart beat and increased blood pressure. It is there to help you respond quickly to life-threatening situations by shutting down non-essential functions – like your sex drive.
High cortisol levels prevent you from going to sleep. It’s that simple.
So, in addition to shutting off your fight-or-flight instinct and triggering your calming parasympathetic nervous system, a weighted blanket seems to help reduce your cortisol levels. All of this can help you go to sleep.
Sustained high levels of cortisol are linked to things like increased risk of depression, anxiety, sleep disorders and diabetes.
How much should a weighted blanket weigh?
Occupational therapists recommend that a weighted blanket should weigh around 10% of your body weight. We recommend that you add 1kg extra if you use a double or larger blanket size.
Why a Calming Moments’ weighted blanket?
Are you ready to take the next step? Here are some reasons for you to choose a Calming Moments weighted blanket.
- We make each blanket to order. That means you get precisely the custom-made weighted blanket that you want.
- You can choose from our broad range of colour options in both sensory minky or cotton. You can also design your own blanket with your choice of printed cotton.
- You can personalise your blanket by embroidering your name on it too.
- Our weighted blankets are available in20 different weights, from 2.5kg up to 12.0kg in half kilogram increments. This means that you can get precisely the right weight for you. (Occupational Therapists recommend that a weighted blanket is 10% of the user’s body weight to optimise the Deep Pressure Touch effect.)
- We make every weighted blanket to our high quality standards.Each blanket is double-lined and triple-stitched on the edges with hems.You can be sure that it is made to last because we give you a 2-year guarantee.
- Our weighted blankets are designed to lie on top of a bed with no overhang. This helps people with sensory sensitivity.
- Each pocket in every weighted blanket is carefully sized so that the weights don’t gather and cause undue pressure. This spreads the weight evenly over your whole body so that you get the best possibleDeep Pressure Touch effect.
- We weight the blankets with glass micro-beads. This means that there is no rustling noises so that you can sleep better. You also don’t feel any hard edges (as you can with poly pellets).
- We fill our weighted blankets with organic bamboo wadding. This helps prevent bunching and pulling at it keeps the glass beads evenly spread through the individual pockets. (Bamboo is also a natural anti-bacterial.)
- Our weighted blankets are all machine-washable on cold, gentle cycle (if your machine can take the weight).
- Our weighted blankets for beds come in your choice of single, king single, double and queen sized. We also make lap and travel blankets that you can take with you.
- The Calming Moments team has been making weighted blankets for the past seven years. So, you get all the benefit of our experience and continuous improvement in each and every weighted blanket.
- And we are certified Australian-made.
But don’t take our word for it. Here are just a few reviews from our happy customers or you can see more on Facebook here.
Why customer’s love our products and service:
Easy to order, fantastic service, fast turnaround, product is well made. Highly recommend Calming Moments if you are looking for a weighted blanket, the blanket with micro beads instead of poly pellets is lovely and compact, my child loves it, it’s really helped her to settle at night.
Thank you Cherise and the team for making another beautiful blanket for us. This is our third one from Calming Moments( have a lap, travel and now double bed size blanket) and I recommend your blankets to family and friends. I love that they are Australian Made and a fantastic quality. Thanks again!
I have been using this blanket for 6 months now and it’s definitely the best buy ever in my life. I used to take 2-3hours just to fall asleep and can’t stay asleep because of anxiety. Now I fall asleep within half and hour and stay asleep most of the nights and feel refreshed in the morning. Not to mention that the blanket is very well stitched and the materials used inside the blanket are very fine and soft to touch. I can’t thank you enough for your good work in helping us.
I have A.D.D and bought a lap pad to sit on my lap at work to help me stay calm and focussed. I’m honestly so impressed with my entire purchase. The pad itself is fantastic and I am way less fidgety when I’m using it, the colour choices are great, and they’re really well made. But the best part by far is the customer service. Your order is updated with notes through the entire process so you know exactly what’s happening and when, and it’s clear the staff are passionate about what they do. Highly recommend.
Buy your own individual, high quality, Australian-made weighted blanket now by clicking on the menu below or here.